Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

UFO landing

Well, a UFO has landed but not the one I had planned for January. My husband's family will be having a couple of babies in the next two months. One we know will be a girl and the other one will be a surprise. I was trying to think about what in my stash I could use to make a quilt when this popped into my head.




They are the squares I did in my colour block swap in the summer of 2009. I had no idea what to do with them. I had tried many different designs but ended up not choosing any and putting the blocks away. I had been reading the Ace of Cakes book and I thought that this quote was quite appropriate:

"You have to remain open while creating a cake. You want it to look like your original concept, your drawing, but you can't get stuck in it. Sometimes the cake is going to go a different way, and you just have to let it." - Duff Goldman








I ended up having a brain wave about these blocks Saturday evening, and I put them all together and got the whole quilt top done. I was looking through my stash too and found the perfect border. I have had that fabric for years waiting for the right place to use it.




It feels great to have a quilt top done ready for the quilter's ahead of the baby's arrival. I am going to count this, as one for myself by creating less stress. On to the next UFO!

7 comments:

Ellen said...

It turned out really cute...what a great way to finish up a UFO!

Quilter Kathy said...

How fabulous! And to be ahead of schedule...even better!

Terry said...

Great little quilt! Isn't it wonderful to use up stuff that seems to have been sitting around forever? :0)

Michelle said...

OH, that is just too cute!

Unknown said...

Way to do something for yourself! It's a vibrant quilt top and will look awesome all quilted up!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful quilt - so bright and cheery. This gives me hope that one day some of my orphan little blocks may actually be used.

Ariane said...

That is so great!!! What a great finish. I love it!!! Don't you just love getting it done early. Less pressure!!!!